Common Household Poisons To Be Mindful Of

Common Household Poisons To Be Mindful Of

There are many common household items and even foods that are poisonous to our pets. You might be surprised. Please take a moment to read about these hazards. It is vital to always check product labels and store these items properly.

  • Macadamia Nuts
  • Onion, garlic and chives
  • Xylitol. This is a common sugar-free sweetener, often found in chewing gum, foods (including peanut butter), dental products, and medications and supplements. Xylitol can lower the sugar in the body and can cause life-threatening liver failure.
  • Yeast dough
  • Some beverages, such as coffee and alcohol. Pets should only drink water.

In general, do not store or leave food meant for you and your family in a place where your pet may be able to get to it. Take special care during holiday seasons and festive occasions in which there is usually a buffet of food that could be enticing to even the most well-behaved pet. It easy to get distracted and leave food around to be easily ingested.

Medicines

Never give your pet a medicine meant for people unless you’ve been advised by Dr. Anderson. Many common over-the-counter drugs can be toxic to pets. (i.e. Tylenol, Advil, Ibuprofen) Do not leave medicine bottles out where pets can reach them (a determined dog can chew through a child-proof cap), and pick up any dropped pills immediately. Use the same caution with dietary supplements or with products you buy at a health food store.

Cleaning Products

Read the warning labels on the household cleaning products you use, and store as directed.

Outdoor Hazards

If you have a garage, shed or garden, you probably have at least some of the following:

  • Plants: Learn which plants can be toxic to pets and under what circumstances. Tomatoes, for example, are in the nightshade family. Many lilies, flowers and common ornamental shrubs can be toxic. The American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) maintains a comprehensive online list (www.aspca.org/apcc).
  • Pest Poisons: Poisons meant to kill rodents, insects, or weeds are very common causes of poisoning in your pets. Be very careful how you apply and store poisons around your home.
  • Garden Products: Cocoa mulch, fertilizers and compost piles are also unsafe for pets. Make sure any mulch or fertilizer you apply to your yard is safe for your pets to play in (and possibly eat). Keep your pets out of areas treated with toxic products. Compost piles can grow bacteria and fungi that are highly toxic to pets, so if you have a compost pile, make sure your pet cannot get into it. Do not compost dairy or meat items.
  • Garage Chemicals: Any chemical in your garage can be dangerous to pets. Antifreeze, in particular, can be deadly. Store all chemicals out of reach of your pet (just as you would for your children), and carefully mop up any spills.

In An Emergency…

If your pet does eat something he or she shouldn’t, time is critical. Call Companion Animal Hospital immediately to describe the following:

  • What your pet ate
  • How long ago
  • How much

You will be asked to put down a deposit of $200.00 in the event of an emergency, as most emergency cases require immediate testing and/or treatment. If you have any questions or think your pet may be in critical condition, please call us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *